rotating banner

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Spanish Bird of the Week #8: Great Tit

As Robert has discussed many times, using playback to get birds out into the open and show off a little bit is a trick we have used many times. While some claim that it disturbs the birds and others claim it cheapens birding, nobody can dispute that it can net you some really incredible views. Just look at the Indigo Bunting or Prairie Warbler that graces our banner!

However, playback only works when you have the ability to identify birds by their call. I struggle with this in the States, and in Spain I was pretty much helpless. While I would listen for calls, I rarely knew what I was hearing, I only knew what I species I had previously heard, and would listen for a strange or a new sound. One of the few songs I eventually became familiar with was that of the Great Tit.



This common, chickadee-esque bird was common in rural parks and open spaces, but it was always a treat to see. I’d seen the birds countless times, but they would always hop around too quickly or stay out of the light, making it difficult for me to get a picture. That is, until one morning when I heard the high-pitched call of the Great Tit and elected to try my luck with a little playback.



The bird immediately responded and while still more jumpy than I’d like, it eventually moved in close giving me the chance for a great picture. Oh, and if anybody wants to debate the pros/cons of using playback like this, look for an essay on the subject in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment